Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

New Discoveries

I have been wanting to make Thai Coconut Lemongrass soup for some time now, but I was having the hardest time finding lemongrass stalks. Yesterday my manager at work told me about Allgreen Market, a grocery store that sells Asian and Latino groceries. Well, I certainly had fun in there yesterday! Not only did I find lemongrass stalks (for $0.39!) but I found an entire houseware section full of Asian goodies, the things they sold reminded me of my time in Korea. The soup recipe I made with the lemongrass turned out so delicious that I have decided to post it.

Tofu Coconut Soup with Lemongrass
4 cups chicken stock
4 slices peeled fresh ginger
1 large lemongrass stalk, cut into 2 inch pieces and crushed
Grated zest of 1 large lime
2 (14-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon red chili paste
1 package of firm tofu, cut into bit sized pieces
1/2 pound fresh enoki mushrooms
5 small fresh green or red chilies, sliced crosswise, paper-thin
Fresh cilantro leaves
1 Package of rice noodles

In a large saucepan, combine the stock, ginger, lemongrasss and lime zest. Place over medium heat and slowly bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, add the coconut milk, stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Add the lime juice, brown sugar and chile paste. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tofu, mushrooms, and rice noodles and simmer until tender.
To serve ladle soup into warmed bowls. Float the chili slices and cilantro leaves on top.
Serves 4 to 6.

Yum!

I saw this cute little bunny bowl at Allgreens (it has a plastic cover for it too, for delicious leftovers) and dearest D. bought it for me. :) Isn't he nice?. I couldn't wait to put my soup in it, somehow that bowl made it just that much better.

These little Hello Kitty containers are also from Allgreens, they're the perfect size for my Healing Bar face soap from Union Street Soapworks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...